One of the many pitfalls of humor is self-deprecation and I used to know it very well. Too well (sadly). Self-mockery is often a very overlooked facet of the downsides of humor. We often think of aggression or the use of unhealthy humor to mask as a coping mechanism, but self-mockery never really enters the chat. It is almost like a silent pitfall because it can be an uncomfortable topic to address amongst people. I have always been known for my humor and people always remark about how funny I am and how I use humor to find the light in bad situations. But when I was a teenager, I had a very unhealthy tendency to utilize self-deprecation as my main source of humor in order to conceal how terribly bad I felt about myself. My confidence was low because I did not like the way I looked and I thought that by making fun of myself, others would not notice the flaws that I perceived about myself. I used self-deprecating humor as a means to distract, when in reality I was undervaluing myse...

Comments
Post a Comment