Skip to main content

Personal Reflection: Humor as a Coping Mechanism and a Tool to Heal

 This week's discussion post is my inspiration for this personal reflection! One of the prompts for the discussion this week that intrigued me is:  

Explore the psychological implications of humor, including its role as a coping mechanism for stress and adversity. Discuss the potential dangers of using humor as a defense mechanism and strategies for promoting mental well-being through communication.

As well as Dr. Hubbard's awesome response question: 

How do you think social support groups (like AA or support for those who have lost, etc) can use humor in their meetings in a good way to still show they care and not just act like it is a joking manner? 

 
This topic and these questions are so incredibly personal and special to me because, A.) it is the subject of my research paper and most importantly, B.) because it is and has been a very real part of what has gotten me through the grief that I carry and the roller coaster of emotions I have ridden trying to understand it.

I know that I write about the loss of my brother a lot, but it is because it is a very large part of my reality and writing about it helps! Humor has also been a large part of my healing process which is why I love to use so many examples of it. 💚

Humor played (and still does play) a MAJOR part in my grief journey. As soon as the day after my baby brother's passing, my older brother's and I were trying to make light of the situation by making jokes that we knew Noah would find hilarious, jokes that he himself would have made (he had a dark sense of humor). We made memes about Noah to cope with the situation and we utilized our humor as a defense mechanism to deflect how painful our emotions were at that time so as to ward off people from asking us questions about our feelings because it would set us back to square one in terms of healing. This played a large part in keeping us sane and close together during the most difficult period of time we have and will ever face in our lives.

Were there times in which I used humor to pretend like everything was okay when it was not? Yes, absolutely. Was it a healthy coping mechanism? No, but it did more good than harm in my situation.

Years before Noah's passing, I was at a Goodwill and I sent him a Snapchat of a picture of Jesus I found with a lamb that I photo shopped his face onto in the app before sending it to him. He thought it was HILARIOUS and it had been a picture that circulated through the family group chat often because it made us all chuckle. At Noah's funeral service my brothers and I created a slideshow of pictures and videos that we had of Noah to share and present. In that slideshow, that picture was included and let me tell ya, the confused looks by the people in that auditorium were abundant.🤣 But the laughter that came from my brothers and I (and even my grief-stricken mom) was priceless. And that's how humor heals.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Real World Reflection: The Bluth's. Family Humor at its Finest.

One of my favorite shows in the whole wide world is Arrested Development . If you have not seen it, I will give you a little rundown. This sitcom is about Michael Bluth, a member of the dysfunctional and eccentric Bluth family who has been tasked with running the family's real estate business after his father is sent to prison for white-collar crime. Of course, as you can probably imagine, chaos and hilarity ensues throughout the series.  I believe that this show is a great example of family humor and how humor shapes the dynamics of a family unit. It gives an inside look as to how a family functions internally, as the show focuses on relationships within the family and not much on outside relationships. The family members often use very dry and aggressive humor with one another which is a staple in how they communicate. If you were to not know that they were related to one another, you would think that they dislike each other, but really the Bluth family's use of sarcasm and h

Personal Reflection: Aggressive Humor

 This week for our lecture we discussed aggressive forms of humor! One that stood out to me the most is 'assertiveness' because it is a form of aggressive humor that I use and experience a lot. Assertiveness belongs to the constructive dimension of aggressive communication. A positive form of communication, assertiveness represents a response that allows a person to behave in a certain manner, respecting their owns interests and expressing their feelings without fear while also respecting other individuals. One of my best friend's little sister, Cheyanne, and I utilize assertiveness all of the time in our communication with each other. Cheyanne and I have known each other for almost fifteen years now and our relationship is like that of a big and little sister. We often will respond to each other in conversation with insults or brash comebacks. For example: the last time I saw Cheyanne was about two weeks ago at a Shrek Trivia night in Austin. She announced to the table tha

Real World Reflection: Grace Adler's Humorous Workplace

I have been binge (re)watching one of my favorite shows of all-time , Will & Grace , this past week and after our recent unit on workplace humor I could not help but notice how humorous Grace Adler's workplace is. For those who have not watched Will & Grace, one of the main characters, Grace Adler, is an interior designer that owns a design business/studio in NYC. Grace's one singular employee is Karen Walker, an incredibly wealthy (and incredibly lazy) wife of a multi-millionaire who only works as an excuse to not have to deal with her stepchildren. The humorous interactions that occur throughout the series in Grace's studio/place of work are a great example of humor in the workplace as well as humor between employees and employers. The dynamics between the two characters and their vastly different personalities as well as their work ethics (Karen's is basically non-existent, haha!) are a central point of humor in the show. The humor that the two utilize whil